Simple teeth and gum health care tips.
The foundation of your mouth is your teeth and gums. Keeping them healthy is good oral hygiene practice to prevent expensive and painful dental problems that may require a root canal, periodontal therapy, or tooth filling.
To be sure that you practice good oral hygiene, follow these 11 simple tips to prevent gum disease, bad breath, and tooth decay.
- According to the American Dental Association, it is essential to brush your teeth at least twice a day and after every meal.
- When brushing your teeth, you should also take time to floss to remove any food debris that may have lodged between your teeth.
- Consider brushing with a soft bristle toothbrush. This will help reduce wear and tear on your tooth.
- Brush along the gum line to remove plaque buildup and your tongue to remove food particle. Brushing your tongue will help keep your breath smelling fresh.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to keep your teeth strong to prevent tooth decay.
- You should spend at least two minutes, brushing your teeth. Any more than this may not be beneficial.
- Brushing and flossing will be much thorough dental hygiene to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Schedule regular dental check-ups for you and your family. You should have two check-ups per year.
- Use interdental brushes to clean between your teeth. These type of dental brushes makes cleaning between braces much more comfortable than floss.
- If you enjoy sweets and sugary foods, you should consider brushing more than twice. Brushing will help remove sugar to prevent cavities from developing.
- If you grind your teeth, consider purchasing a night mouth guard or visit your dentist for a custom mouthguard to prevent premature wear of your teeth.
- Avoid or do not use tobacco products. Heavy use of tobacco can stain your teeth and cause gum and tooth disease.
You can keep your smile bright and beautiful when you make oral hygiene a top priority, so it does not have to turn into problems. Regular cleaning by your professional dentist healthcare provider will keep your mouth in good health. Cleanings remove the buildup of plaque and tartar, both of which can lead to cavities and gum diseases such as gingivitis or periodontitis. Your dentist will detect any problems much earlier and can help prevent further complications. If you are ready for your next appointment please call California Dental Group at (800) 407-0161 to make your appointment.