Dental News

How Much Do Your Genetics Affect Your Oral Health? Get the Facts Today

May 11, 2022

How Much Do Your Genetics Affect Your Oral Health? Get the Facts Today Have you ever considered blaming your lousy genes for the fact that you always seem to get cavities and need fillings at the dentist? There is some truth to that. Genetics determines up to 60% of your risk for tooth decay, according to experts at the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Dental Medicine’s Center for Craniofacial and Dental Genetics.

Of course, this does not mean that you are out of luck if you have inherited “bad” genetics. Regularly brushing and flossing, as well as visiting your dentist every six months, are important steps you can take to improve your oral health. Keep reading to learn how genetics can affect your oral health and then contact California Dental Group at (800) 407-0161 for help.

Enamel hardness

The enamel is a tooth’s initial line of defense against microorganisms that cause tooth decay. The tougher and thicker your enamel is, the better your protection against tooth decay is. While nutrition does play a role in tooth enamel strength, genes can also cause people to have softer tooth enamel, even if they consume lots of calcium and other minerals.

Taste genes

Taste genes influence our ability to recognize various flavors and, in some cases, our preference for them. Some people, for example, can taste cilantro and enjoy it. Others, due to genetic variations, are unable to detect the actual flavor of cilantro, which tastes more like soap.

According to new research, the higher a person’s capacity to detect distinct flavors, the lower their risk of dental decay. This could be because those who can taste a range of flavors are less inclined to consume a lot of sugar. Individuals with a sweet liking gene variation will consume more sugar, which will, of course, exacerbate tooth decay.

Immune system

Oral bacteria populations must be kept under control in order to maintain optimum oral health. In this process, your immune system plays a critical role. You will be better protected from the spread of tooth decay and gum disease germs if you are genetically prone to have a strong immune system. If your genes weaken your immune system, you’re more likely to get cavities.

You have no control over your genes but you have control over your oral hygiene

If 60% of tooth decay risk is inherited, the remaining 40% is under our control. Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing once a day, and rinsing your mouth with water after consuming sugary food or drink can help protect your teeth against decay. Remember to see your dentist for dental cleanings and exams on a regular basis.

Please contact California Dental Group at (800) 407-0161 to get a cleaning set up.

Read Our Reviews